Requirements & Volunteer Responsibilities for Parade Marshals
Who Can Volunteer;
- Persons aged 15 years or older for Auxiliary, 19 years old + for lead parade marshal roles. Single Day Volunteer positions are available for students aged 12+, find more information here
- Role requires volunteers to be able to maintain pace of parade and walk entire parade route which includes road inclines and declines
What is Required of Volunteers;
- Marshals will work with a fun team of section leaders and other volunteers to ensure the parade operates smoothly by making sure participants are lined up in order as they arrive to the staging area along Frederick Street (Kitchener)
- Marshals will help keep unauthorized vehicles from entering/crossing the staging area (roads will be closed)
- Marshals will alert participants/drivers when the parade is ready to begin so they are ready to go on time
- Marshals will walk the route of the parade along with your section leader and other marshals, working together to ensure there are no gaps in the parade
- Must be available on Monday, October 12th from 6:00am – 12:30pm, and Sunday, October 11 at 10am for a pre-parade meeting.
- Wear comfortable shoes and dress appropriate for the weather. Layers are recommended as it is often chilly in the morning, and warmer as the sun comes up. The parade will go on rain, shine or snow!
- There is a mandatory meeting to attend on Sunday, October 11th at 10am in advance of the parade. This meeting is at the Floats Warehouse at 265 Lexington Court in Waterloo. It will take approx. 1 hour and is where you will receive your assigned positions and meet the leaders/key marshals for your sections & have a chance to mingle with other parade marshals.
What Can a Volunteer Expect;
- Volunteers will be part of the 2nd largest parade in Canada and viewed across Canada by over 2 million viewers.
- Parade Marshals are extremely important “behind the scenes” roles, and are the glue to the entire production!
- Marshals will meet at a designated pick-up spot by 6:00am to be driven to by bus to the staging area (Frederick St Mall).
- High-visibility vests are provided and must be returned immediately after the parade
- Following the parade, marshals are bused back to the pick-up locations and treated to lunch and beverages.
- You can choose to be bused from the pick-up locations or meet at Frederick St Mall
Volunteering is always more fun friends! If you know anyone in your circle of friends or co-workers who are interested in volunteering with you, please feel free to share this information with them and get them on board with you.
Single Day Volunteer Application